Thursday, September 16, 2010

Setting Goals

When I was a child, I remember wanting to be a professional baseball player when I grew up. I also wanted to be a doctor, meteorologist, lawyer, superhero, actor, singer, advertising exec, graphic designer, producer for a record label, and King of Prussia. I had some lofty dreams. The direction that my life has taken dictated my current standing in the professional world. As we speak, I believe I have achieved one of my "when I grow up" goals as an up and coming marketing, events, and new media manager. Most would agree that I am in the right field, based on my talents, "artsyness", persistence, and persuasiveness. I truly believe the sky is the limit for me in this field because I am great at what I do. Why do I tell you this, though? Where is this coming from, and where is it going? Good question! Well, I was recently thinking about where I want to be in a few years, and how important setting goals in your life can be.

I strongly believe that setting goals allows a person to establish purpose in their professional and personal life. Are you working at your current place of employment just to work? Is it just for the money? If so, you're probably not where you should be. Are you dating someone you don't see a real future with? If so, you shouldn't be dating that person. Honestly, what is the point of being with someone if you don't see it having a future? What is the point of living life with no desire to create a better existence for yourself, your loved ones, and humanity as a whole? By setting goals in every significant aspect of our lives, we are creating the drive, the motivation and the perseverance needed to accomplish them.

When a person enrolls at a college or university, they should have a goal in mind: graduate! That goal is directly connected to another goal: start a career in the field you are studying. That should again, lead to a bigger goal, like move up the ladder, go to grad/med/law school, start your own business, plant a church, etc. When a person embarks on a new romantic relationship with someone, the goal should always be marriage. I am strongly opposed to the idea that in our youth, we should sow wild oats, spread our seed, and play the field. All of those things are without purpose, without promise, and unnecessary acts of instant gratification. Of course, this is my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me or suddenly change their point of view. Just to cement my point though, let me give you two personal examples of this very goal setting issue.

Example 1:

I dated this girl, let's call her Lily....
She dated an acquaintance of mine for a few years. Some mutual friends of the acquaintance (let's call him Greg) told me that Lily was bad news. They told me to stay away from her, because it would not end well. Greg himself offered some advice, but I did not heed any of their warnings. I liked Lily. She was pretty, fun, spunky, and we had common interests (music, food, movies). Mind you, I was 20 at the time, and living the "college life". I was far from the person I am now, and far from the God who gave me true purpose. She was pretty, I was into her, and we started dating. There was no real goal, and I should have seen it ahead of time. We had differing views on politics, religion, and family. She liked the drinking, smoking, rock star lifestyle. I played along, and I actually really liked her. Fast forward a few months...she cheated on me. Funny thing is the guy she cheated on me with was the very reason her and Greg broke up! Greg didn't tell me about that, and neither did anyone of our mutual friends. In hindsight, I don't think it would have made a difference to me. I would have dated her anyway, because I thought she was cool, and pretty. I ignored all the warning signs, I ignored the caution flags, I ignored the "Buyer Beware" notice. I gave her parts of me that she didn't deserve. I compromised values, and lifelong beliefs and goals for someone who would later devalue and defame those very things. It was a fruitless relationship that served as a wake up call and became the catalyst for bringing me out of my prodigal living.

Example 2:

I met this girl, let's call her Stephanie....
We met under interesting circumstances; my family member was dating her family member. She was down from another state, let's call that state Tennessee. It was a blind date kind of thing. Stephanie was going through a rough patch at the time, and came to stay with some relatives to clear her head, and hopefully have some fun. So, that night we all went to dinner and a movie. I was 22 at this time, and a little wiser I think. I was over my dumb phase, and had the proper mindset for a real relationship. We hit it off, I liked her. During her time here that summer, we really began to fall for each other. She wanted to transfer to a college in Miami, and be with me. Towards the end of the summer though, she had to leave. She went back to Tennessee and we were devastated. I did some very hard thinking, and knew that if I did what I was planning to do, I had to KNOW that she was the one.

My next move was drastic, and had I not had the goal of "happily ever after" in mind, my actions would have been both selfish, life shattering, and stupid. I realized all this, and made the decision then and there, that I was going to marry this girl name Stephanie. I took a bus to Tennessee, and her parents placed their trust in me. They trusted that I would take care of their first born, that I would love her, cherish her, and never forsake her. They trusted that allowing her to leave home and move to Miami to be with me was not a mistake. Fast forward to June 7th, 2009...Stephanie Marie Diago became Stephanie Marie Saavedra. This was and is the greatest day of my life. I knew on June 23rd, 2007 that I was having dinner for the first time...with my wife. From that day on, all my actions were made with that goal in mind.

My point is this folks: goals give our day to day actions a purpose, a meaning, and significance. Who wants to just float through life without ever accomplishing or achieving anything? Set goals, strive for excellence, and walk the straight and narrow path in order to achieve those goals. Set daily goals, weekly, monthly, yearly, and major life goals. I want to own a house in the next 5 years. I want to have my first child in the next five years. I want to be the youngest director of this company in the next 3 years. Those goals are all attainable for me, as long as I put in the work to make them possible. I am confident in my abilities. You're goals may be as big as curing cancer, or as small as getting an A+ in your Physics quiz tomorrow. The point is, set them because they honestly do give you more desire to achieve them. If you just go into that quiz with no stated goal, you won't be as motivated. It sounds dumb, but it's true.


-Danny
www.cbt.edu
www.cbt.edu/facebook

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!! It is always good to have goals in front of you and to be realistic. Always remeber that "If the Lord wills..." and to trust that He will lead you through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely North! Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete